Archbishop Emeritus of Wellington
Cardinal Thomas S Williams ONZ DD
- Born in Wellington, 20 March 1930
- Educated at Holy Cross Primary School, Miramar; SS Peter and Paul School, Lower Hutt; St Patrick’s College, Wellington; St Kevin’s College, Oamaru; Holy Cross Seminary, Mosgiel; Pontifical College, ‘De Propaganda Fide’, Rome (Theology)
- Ordained in Rome, 20 December 1959
- Appointments held since ordination: University College, Dublin (Social Sciences Degree) 1961 – 1962; St. Patrick’s, Palmerston North 1963 – 1965; Director of Catholic Enquiry Centre, Wellington 1966 – 1970; Leulumoega, Western Samoa 1971 – 1975; Holy Family Parish, Porirua East 1976
- Ordained Archbishop for the Wellington Archdiocese in St Mary of the Angels, Wellington, on 20 December 1979
- Created Cardinal in Rome on 3 February 1983
- Awarded the Order of New Zealand 5 June 2000
- Moderator, Tribunal of the Catholic Church for New Zealand.
- Episcopal Deputy for: finance committee; prison chaplaincy; New Zealand Catholic Education Office; Catholic Enquiry Centre.
- Retired as Archbishop of Wellington 20 March 2005.
Motto and Coat of Arms