WelCom October 2018:
Stewardship is about each one of us putting the Gospel into action.
In 2016 Cardinal John Dew announced that the Archdiocese would reflect on a dedicated Stewardship theme every October. The theme for October 2018 is ‘The Call to Holiness’.
Pope Francis, in Gaudete et Exsultate, Rejoice and be Glad! speaks of holiness as ‘the most attractive face of the Church’. He says ‘we are all called to be holy by living our lives with love and bearing witness in everything we do, wherever we find ourselves’. ‘Do not be afraid of holiness’ he says, ‘It will take away none of your energy, vitality, or joy’.
How can you be involved in October Stewardship Month?
- Join a parish group or invite some friends to get together and read Gaudete et Exsultate. Elizabeth Julian rsm has created five hour-long reflections, one for each chapter of Gaudete et Exsultate, for use by parish groups, pastoral councils, prayer groups and others. This wonderfully accessible resource is on the Archdiocese website ‒ wn.catholic.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Gaudete-et-Exsultate-for-Parishes.pdf
- Commit to praying the Examen each night – see Cardinal John’s Column in September 2018 WelCom NaiMai or WelCom’s website at: wn.catholic.org.nz/for-you-too-we-are-all-called-to-be-holy/0
- ASB are calling for people to identify people in their communities who are ‘good sorts’. Why not identify, affirm, and celebrate the GodSorts in your community? Pope Francis says, ‘Very often it is holiness found in our next-door neighbours, those who, living in our midst, reflect God’s presence.’ (7)
- Take part in a Gift Discernment process in your parish.
- Take part in the Stewardship Retreat at Sacred Heart Church, Britannia Street, Petone, on Saturday, October 27, 9.30am‒3.45pm. This day is an opportunity for each of us to discern how to live joyfully the life God calls us to live. Look for the poster in your parish or on the Archdiocese website: wn.catholic.org.nz/archdiocesan-ministries/catholicstewardship/