Cardinal John Atcherley Dew DD
- Born in Waipawa, Central Hawkes Bay, New Zealand – 5 May 1948
- Educated at St Joseph’s Primary school, Waipukurau; St Joseph’s (now Chanel) College, Masterton; Holy Name Seminary, Christchurch (Philosophy); Holy Cross College, Mosgiel (Theology)
- Ordained Priest at Waipukurau, New Zealand by Cardinal Reginald Delargey in May 1976
- Appointments held as priest of the Archdicoese of Wellington:
- St Joseph’s Parish, Upper Hutt 1976 – 1979;
- Diocese of Rarotonga, Rarotonga 1980 – 1982;
- Archdiocesan Youth Ministry 1983 – 1987;
- Cook Islands Māori Community 1983 – 1987;
- Holy Cross College, Mosgiel 1988 – 1991;
- Study in Spirituality, Institute of St Anselm, Kent, UK 1991 – 1992;
- St Anne’s Parish, Newtown 1993 – 1995
- Ordained as Auxiliary Bishop for the Archdiocese of Wellington and Titular Bishop of Privata 31 May 1995
- Appointed Coadjutor Archbishop of Wellington 24 May 2004
- Succeeded Cardinal T S Williams as Archbishop of Wellington 21 March 2005
- Elevated to Cardinal 14 February 2015, and appointed Cardinal-Priest of Sant’Ippolito Church, Rome.
- Vice-President and immediate past-President, New Zealand Catholic Bishops Conference
- Bishop of the New Zealand Military Ordinariate
- Moderator of the Tribunal of the Catholic Church in New Zealand
- Conference representative on the Catholic Bishops Committee for Ecumenism and Liaison Bishop for Holy Cross Seminary
- Member of the Congregation for Evangelization of Peoples, the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, and the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity.
Motto and Coat of Arms
When appointed Auxiliary Bishop in 1995, then Bishop John chose as his motto “Peace through Integrity” Baruch (5:4). This scripture quote appears on his current Coat of Arms with the traditional colours and symbols of a Cardinal, the Metropolitan Cross, a shepherd’s staff (pastoral staff) and the symbols for ALPHA and OMEGA imposed over an open book of the scriptures.
Cardinal Thomas S Williams ONZ DD
- Born in Wellington, 20 March 1930
- Educated at Holy Cross Primary School, Miramar; SS Peter and Paul School, Lower Hutt; St Patrick’s College, Wellington; St Kevin’s College, Oamaru; Holy Cross Seminary, Mosgiel; Pontifical College, ‘De Propaganda Fide’, Rome (Theology)
- Ordained in Rome, 20 December 1959
- Appointments held since ordination: University College, Dublin (Social Sciences Degree) 1961 – 1962; St. Patrick’s, Palmerston North 1963 – 1965; Director of Catholic Enquiry Centre, Wellington 1966 – 1970; Leulumoega, Western Samoa 1971 – 1975; Holy Family Parish, Porirua East 1976
- Ordained Archbishop for the Archdiocese of Wellington in St Mary of the Angels Church, Wellington, on 20 December 1979
- Created Cardinal in Rome on 3 February 1983
- Awarded the Order of New Zealand 5 June 2000
- Moderator, Tribunal of the Catholic Church for New Zealand.
- Episcopal Deputy for: Finance Committee; prison chaplaincy; New Zealand Catholic Education Office; Catholic Enquiry Centre
- Retired as Archbishop of Wellington 20 March 2005.
The Archdiocese of Wellington
The Archdiocese of Wellington was established in June 1848 by Pope Pius IX, who divided New Zealand into two dioceses, Auckland and Wellington. There are now six dioceses in New Zealand.
The boundaries of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Wellington are:
“Firstly, all that area of the North Island more or less bounded by a line commencing on the western most point of the southern boundary of the Palmerston North Diocese, thence following that boundary generally to the mean high water mark on the east sea coast and following that mean high water mark south westerly to Cape Palliser, generally north westerly to Cape Terawhiti, and north easterly to the point of commencement and including all adjacent habitable land.
Secondly, all that area of the South Island more or less bounded by a line commencing at a point on the middle line of the Conway River in line with the high water mark of the sea coast and proceeding generally north westerly up the middle of the Conway River following the north boundary of the Cheviot County as described in Gazette 1930 page 2014 to and along the north eastern boundary of the
Amuri County as described in Gazette 1960 page 989; thence generally westerly along this boundary to the middle of the mouth of the Punakaiki River, thence to and along the mean high water mark of the sea coast following inlets, bays harbours and peninsulas around the northern portion of the South Island to the point of commencement and including all habitable adjacent islands. Total area 35,800sq km.”
Certified 11 February 1981 under the Roman Catholic Lands Act 1876