WelCom March 2020:
WelCom begins a series of simple ideas showing ways to care for our common home. Pope Francis frequently uses the phrase ‘time is greater than space’ because the pathway to authentic human progress is ‘process’ – itself a function of time. It propels us towards the future. Below are some simple actions we can all take starting today, which will generate a process to help us to go forward in hope.
Reject the culture of food waste. Let’s all think about and act on what we can do to reduce the amount of food we throw out.
- Look for ways to enjoy imperfections in flawed fruit, rather than seeking that ‘perfect apple’ or other fruit.
- Preserve excess fruit and vegetables for use later in the year or for gifts.
- Be creative with leftover food and take it to work for lunch.
- If you have a garden, donate any extra produce from your autumn harvest to the local foodbank, or leave it in a container at your gate for people to help themselves.
- Move any food in your fridge or freezer with an expiry date closer to the front so you’ll use it first.
By composting and having a worm farm you can ensure that even food scraps are not wasted.