WelCom November 2023
Andrea Cawood, DRS
St James’ Catholic School in Palmerston North proudly celebrated its 65th Jubilee over the weekend of 9–10 September.
Celebrations included a pōwhiri, tours around the school, kai and ‘catch ups’, a display of historical photographs, a cultural performance and entertainment hour, and a special Jubilee Mass at Palmerston North’s Cathedral of the Holy Spirit – reopened in time for the celebrations after a fire earlier this year.
St James’ is a Mercy school established in 1958 and was run for many years by some amazing Sisters of Mercy. Today’s roll stands at more than 150 pupils.
Among the school’s first teachers was Sr Joan Manson rsm, who attended the Jubilee. Sr Joan started as an assistant teacher when St James’ first opened. She taught junior students along with the aid of her puppet ‘Monkey’. She later became principal. At the celebrations, Sr Joan reintroduced Monkey and gifted him to the school.
Sr Joan, now 95, has lived in Palmerston North for many years and soon after the jubilee she moved to Villa Joseph in Upper Hutt along with two other Sisters.