WelCom October 2023
WelCom won the award for Best Layout and Design for a Printed Publication at the 2023 Australasian Catholic Press Association (ACPA) conference and awards, held in Perth last month.
The awards, held annually, recognise excellence in Catholic media across Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific.
In their comments about WelCom the judges stated: ‘Very clear contemporary design with a great mix of images, text and advertising. This is how a print publication should be. The designers have done a great job in drawing the reader in and helping them to be at peace with wanting to read more. This what we should be doing – it is evangelising!’
ACPA comprises professionals working in print and digital Catholic publications, media and communications in Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. There are over 100 members.
The Awards Night followed a two-day conference with more than 50 Catholic media and communications professionals from diocesan communications and publications across Australasia.
The Awards, held at The Westin in Perth, 7 September, were presented by ACPA President Neil Helmore and Perth Archbishop Timothy Costelloe sdb.
Several New Zealanders received awards including:
- Annette Scullion, editor, WelCom, Wellington and Palmerston North – Winner Best Layout and Design. [Annette was also elected ACPA Vice President (NZ) at the AGM ahead of the conference.]
- Tui Motu InterIslands Magazine, Dunedin – Winner Best Front Page (editor Ann Gilroy rsj).
- Geremy Hema, Tui Motu, Dunedin – Winner Best Content Ecumenical and Interfaith.
- Michael Otto, editor NZ Catholic, Auckland – Highly Commended Best Editorial Column/Blog.
- Anne Rose, designer, NZ Catholic, Auckland – Highly Commended Best Layout and Design, Print.
- Lisa Beech, The Nathaniel Report, Wellington – Winner, Best Content; Faith Formation.
- The Bishop Kennedy Award for Overall Excellence went to the Archdiocese of Hobart’s publication, The Catholic Standard.
ACBC Communications Director Gavin Abraham, NZ Catholic Editor Michael Otto and Jesuit priest Fr Andrew Hamilton sj were awarded Life Memberships.
This year’s conference was built on the theme ‘Speaking with the Heart: The Truth in Love (Ephesians 4:15)’, from Pope Francis’ 2023 World Communications Day message.
Francis’ message encourages Catholic media professionals to communicate with an ‘open heart and arms’.
WelCom is the official monthly Catholic newspaper for the Archdiocese of Wellington and the Diocese of Palmerston North on behalf of the two bishops.