“The world is a joyful mystery." Laudato Si 12
“We journey through this land seeking God" LS 244
“The climate is a common good…” Laudato Si 23
Photo of the ADW Thinking Stone - carved in Oamaru stone by Master Carver, Lou Kereopa, it is rich in Christian Māori symbolism

We are the Catholic community of the lower North and upper South Islands of Aotearoa New Zealand, following Jesus Christ by celebrating and sharing faith, growing in community, caring for our common home, and working for justice and peace

image of the Cardinals Crest Cardinal’s reflections

Cardinal John Dew

3 hours ago

Last weekend we formally farewelled the Capuchins, who are leaving the Archdiocese. We have been blessed with their presence over many decades. The first priest in Wellington was a Capuchin, Fr Jeremiah O’Reilly, who came with the New Company in 1843. He built the first Catholic church in Wellington, in Boulcott Street, and was dearly loved in the small Wellington community. A report on his death in the Evening Post in 1880 said:
“Father O'Reily's life was indeed a living sermon to his flock. His charity was unbounded and the call of sickness was never made to him in vain. In fact he gave away nearly all his means, living a most abstemious life himself, in order that he might relieve the wants of his less fortunate brethren, no matter to what creed they belonged; and there is no doubt that his health was greatly injured by the privations and exposure to the weather he endured on his visits of mercy.”
Fr Ephrem Tigga is the last Capuchin in Wellington, and we thank him and all who have gone before him for their dedicated service to the people of Wellington, and for their Franciscan witness. We have been blessed by the presence and ministry of so many good friars.
... See MoreSee Less

View on Facebook

Community

WelCom October 2020, Issue 387

WelCom October 2020 is in parishes and schools as our monthly printed newspaper.